Capitol Hill Public Schools Parent Organization
Maury Elementary School
1250 Constitution Ave., NE
October 18, 2011
6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- Walk-to-School Day Recap, George Blackmon. Action: Suzanne G. and Sandra M. to document “how tos” – including accountability/sign off from each school, get a school to take it on next year. Goal is to get all schools to budget for next year. Laura H. and Isabella H. to compile thank yous to donors, partners.
- Advocating for Bike Lanes, Sandra Moscoso-Mills. Action: Letter was signed by CHPSPO school reps and sent to DDoT on Wednesday, Oct 19.
- Hilly Awards, Laura Marks – Deadline for voting 10/28. Action: Laura to blurb for schools to post. Schools to forward to list-servs.
- Community-based marketing idea, Joe Weedon – Web-based, tool to market schools. Focus on extra-curricular activities. Ex: Atlas, CHAW, Portal-style. Target 2nd grade – middle school. Break down by age groups. Q: Advertising? Partners: CHAMPS, Real Estate companies. Action: Joe to follow up with more details.
- School Information Night, Suzanne Wells. Action: Suzanne to update flyer, ensure have information about Race to Nowhere, bring middle school survey, list of school representatives. Action: Suzanne to PTAs to put links to CHPSPO on their site.
- Race to Nowhere Screening, Sherry Trafford and Liz Festa CHCF donation that enables us to offer the screening free. Need to register in advance to see the film. Invite PTSO meetings to talk about film, speaker to guide discussion. 30-45 mins of discussion. Reach out to T. Wells, Lisa Raymond, DCPS, Monica WJ, list of possible babysitters
- Elephant in room discussion, Discussed importance of individuals refraining from identifying themselves as representatives of CHPSPO in public forums when not representing CHPSPO’s official positions; invited opportunities for future discussion of ongoing dynamic issues within CHPSPO; reinforced value of respecting our process of group decision-making, and need for opportunities within CHPSPO to continue discussions as perspectives develop.
- Discussed the Finance Commission that has been convened to make recommendations on the funding for public and public charter schools for the 2013 budget, and suggested that Ed Lazere, the chair of the Finance Commission be invited to the December 13 meeting.
Next CHPSPO Meeting: December 13, 2012
October 22 Literary Feast, CHCF Fundraiser to Benefit Capitol Hill Schools
October 28 Polls close for Hilly Awards at 11:59 p.m.
October 29 Tyler Harvest Festival, 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. 1001 G St., SE
Capitol Hill Montessori at Logan Haunted House 6-9 p.m. 215 G St., NE
November 5 Public oversight hearing “Youth Perspectives on Middle Grades Education in the District,” Council Chamber Room 500, (10:00 a.m.)
November 10 DCPS’ Engaging Families in a New Path Forward – Ward 6 event. 6-8 p.m., Ludlow-Taylor, 659 G St., NE
November 15 School Information Night @ Hill Center 6-8:30 p.m.
November 21 Race to Nowhere Screening, Atlas Performing Arts Center – 7 p.m.
Vote for CHPSPO for Hilly Awards (Community Service) http://www.champsdc.org/), polls close on October 28