Capitol Hill Public School Parent Organization
Middle School Subcommittee Meeting
July 20, 2010
Stuart Hobson Middle School
4th & E Streets, NE
6:30 – 8 p.m.
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation (Precious Calloway) – Healthy Schools program (www.HealthierGeneration.org).
Funding to support 100 (or more) schools, Need to enroll min of 40 schools by September.
6 Step Program: http://healthiergeneration.org/builder/builderlogin.aspx
Benefits to school/community: National recognition, resources, funding for various health/green related programs, IMPACT for teachers
Contact: Precious Calloway – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Schoolyard Greening Subcommittee – contact Laura Marks (email@example.com)
Tuesday, August 31 – meeting with Jeff Mills and Diana Bruce to discuss Healthy Schools
Lookout: Breakfast in classrooms for ALL students to kick off on first day of school (August 23)
- Walk-to-School Day
Seeking Champion(s) to coordinate this year’s Walk to School Day (Wednesday, October 6) – Volunteers? (resources are available)
- Mayor and Councilmember Candidates Forum – contact Barbara Riehle (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Sponsored by CHPSPO, Sports on the Hill (SOTH) and Eastern Market Metro Community Association (EMMCA) – Mark Seagraves will moderate
Ward 6 Candidates (Tommy Wells and Kelvin Robinson) have agreed to address the community on Tuesday, August 24
Waiting for confirmation from Mayoral Candidates
Host similar forum for DC Board of Ed candidates?
Will give candidates questions 1 week ahead of time. Q’s to represent families with children.
Q’s that came up tonight in brain storm (not final):
1. How can you guarantee funding for modernization when consistently going over 40% on current projects? (Art school is being pushed)
2. Disconnect between DC- CAS and DC-BAS – how to address continuity in testing?
3. Transition plan bet. DCPS and Principals?
4. What do you do w/ the School Board?
- By-laws Discussion and 501(c)3 – contact Barbara Riehle (email@example.com) and Sherry Trafford (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Barbara to circulate draft by-laws. 501(c)3 is dependent on by-laws.
- CHPSPO Website & Logo – contact Sandra Moscoso (email@example.com) & Heather Schoell (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Site is live: http://chpspo.org – please visit, and provide feedback!! (look and feel will likely change once logo is finalized).