Capitol Hill Public School Parent Organization (http://chpspo.org)
Middle School Subcommittee Meeting
July 20, 2010
Brent Elementary School
6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- Walk to School 2010 – contact (for now, as coordinators are not yet finalized) Heather Schoell (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Mandy Bassow (email@example.com) Co-Chaired by Maury and the Cluster. Food coordinated by Capitol Hill Green Schools Initiative (CHGSI)/Laura Marks (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Ward 6 School Board Candidates forum – contact Barbara Riehle (email@example.com).Looking into whether other organizations are sponsoring a forum. Will also invite Lisa Raymond to talk to CHPSPO about the role of the DC State Board of Education (http://sboe.dc.gov/).
- DC CAS Test Scores – A 2-page document released by the Chancellor’s office, which is a snapshot of each school that tracks progress from SY07/08, was circulated.
- Ward 6 Democratic Councilmember Candidates Forum – contact Barbara Riehle (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Sponsored by CHPSPO, Sports on the Hill (SOTH) and Eastern Market Metro Community Association (EMMCA) – Mark Seagraves will moderate. Ward 6 Candidates (Tommy Wells and Kelvin Robinson) have agreed to address the community on Tuesday, August 24 @ Southeast Library. Candidate questions which were formulated at the meeting are: What would they do for Hill Schools? Do you support DCPS’ middle schools plan, and what assurance can you give that the plan will be implemented? Would you support mayoral governance of schools, and how do you think this has worked? What is your focus, and what changes would you like to see? What are your priorities for school funding in the coming years? How is there no money left? What are your priorities for serving the health and education of Capitol Hill families and for Ward 6? What would you say Ward 6 offers for families with children, and how would you improve it?
- CHGSI to host DCPS Food Services Roundtable Tuesday, August 31, 6:30 PM @ Peabody ES -contact Laura Marks (email@example.com)
The Capitol Hill Green Schools Initiative will be hosting a roundtable discussion on DCPS food services, the Healthy Schools Act, support for school gardens and schoolyard greening, August 31, from 6:30 to 8 pm at the Peabody ES Library (4th Floor), 425 C Street, NE.Joining us from DCPS will be:
Jeff Mills, Director of Food Services
Diana Bruce, Director of Health and Wellness
Paula Reichel, Program Coordinator, Office of Food and Nutrition Services
- By-laws Discussion and 501(c)3 – contact Barbara Riehle (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Sherry Trafford (email@example.com). The following 3 things need to be answered in crafting CHPSPO bylaws.
– What is the membership of CHPSPO? Does each school have a designated rep with voting rights, or can it be anybody?
– Who are the officers, and how are they chosen? Elected from schools?
– How are decisions made generally? By the board or by membership?
Next meeting – Tuesday, September 21.