Capitol Hill Public Schools Parent Organization
Tyler Elementary School Library
June 19, 2012
6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- DCPS Library Funding Followup, Peter MacPherson
- Ludlow-Taylor meeting with DCPS on Wednesday, June 20, 2012. Request is to move librarians out of flexible categoryto core staff; , check if Mary Levy and DCPS are willing to meet to discuss discrepancies in budget; ask about ‘in-class’ libraries and what that looks like on the ground; Peter MacPherson and Robert Zarr to attend June 20 meeting.
- Bake Sales: Add petition to sales; July 4 @ Barrack’s Row; July 11 @ Wilson Building (organized by Ludlow Taylor); look for other wards to support other bake sales; Future bake sales: have other wards host, request mtg w/ Kaya Henderson to deliver donations check.
- Enjoy Reading (http://enjoyreading.org/), (Ali Hoffman): Stanton Elementary in Ward 8; at schools 2 days/week
- Children’s Budget report (firstname.lastname@example.org): Points raised: How are the Mary Levy report and DC budget discrepancies addressed? Request granularity around DCPS budget vis a vis libraries; Why is DC Parks and Rec not represented if they are now running aftercare in many schools? TAKE QUESTIONNAIRE ONLINE: www.dmhhs.dc.gov
- Grade DC (www.grade.dc.gov) (email@example.com) Raise that DCPS should be included in agencies to be graded and raise library issue here, too.
- Ward 6 State of the Schools Followup, All
- What are DCPS’ next steps? Suzanne to draft letter back w/ key points we heard and want follow up (to be sent on behalf of CHPSPO).
- Vertical and horizontal articulation: convene all principals w/in feeder pattern to discuss what this means
- At young grades, start thinking of themselves as class of 2023; Introduce feeder-wide activities – Ex: robotics
- Ward 6 MS Plan Liaison
- Ask to publish consolidated list of follow up items that were recorded in the meeting
- School foods expectations
- Afterschool programs
- How can we hear from the kids, who no doubt have opinions re: librarian, food, aftercare? Video recorded interviews of children w/ their feedback on all of the above
- 4th of July Parade on Barrack’s Row. July 4 @ 10 AM.
- Sign up your school at http://4thofjulyparadeoncapitolhill.eventbrite.com/
- Line up at 8th and I SE at 9:00 AM.
- CHPSPO to participate. We love school libraries car. CHPSPO; bake sale, generate interest, petition, table… (Sandra has registered CHPSPO)
- Walk with your school, then walk with CHPSPO!
Next CHPSPO Meeting: July 17, 2012
- July 4th Parade
- July 11 Bake Sale at Wilson Building to Support Libraries