Capitol Hill Montessori@Logan, August 12, 2014
Discussion on holding a Ward 6 School Board Forum
- Decided to hold a Ward 6 School Board Candidates Forum
- Petitions submitted by Tom Brennan, Mark Nayden, and Joe Weedon
- Suggested that we identify potential partners to cosponsor the forum: (VanNess parents group, NLPNA, Capitol Hill Group Ministry, Hill Rag, SESW CBCC, etc)
- Suggested we hold the forum at (Eastern)
- Discussed possible moderators
- Timing (2nd-3rd week October) October 7, 14 or 16
Mayoral Candidates Forum – CHPSPO will join education and community groups across the city to sponsor this event
Discussion on holding a Ward 6 Education Summit:
- Identify what people feel is lacking in the schools, identify how to fill those needs, and re-articulate the Ward’s commitment to schools
- Discussed that parents have been asked multiple times what they want. People want to see action rather than another “ask” session.
- Discussed the effort being undertaken by Companies for Causes, and the All Roads Lead to Eastern effort.
- Discussed the importance of involving teachers more in open houses.
- Will do a little more thinking around how CHPSPO can support the Ward 6 schools in planning for vertical integration among the feeder schools, and marketing of the schools through their websites, etc.
- Michael Moss, Walker Jones principal, discussed “backwards education mapping” effort that Wilson High School undertook a number of years ago that brought together the Wilson feeder schools to discuss vertical integration among the schools and ensuring that elementary school students are prepared for middle school, and middle school students are prepared for high school.
Walk-to-School Day Planning – Wednesday, October 8
Next CHPSPO Meeting: September 16, 2014
August 23 Beautification Day
August 25 First Day of School
September Student Assignment & School Boundary Plan to be released
October 8 Walk-to-School Day
November 4 General Election