Miner Elementary School, 601 15th St., NE
November 17, 2015, 6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.
1) Keep Calm and Substitute Teach – How DCPS plans/budgets for substitutes, and why/how to become a substitute – Suzanne Wells, Tammy Alexander and Heather Schoell
- Principals can name request parents to be subs
- John Isabella (DCPS) reported– substitutes pool fills 200-300 requests per day. 90% of requests are filled.
- Substitutes fill in for teachers and aides.
- Schools get budget but rolled into teacher salaries.
- Substitute are licensed by OSSE
- Substitute must deliver a 5 min prez/lesson – those who meet the bar, go on to background check
- DCPS sees sub pool as a pool of potential teachers;
- Subs can put in name for a specific school (and schools can request specific subs)
- Every teacher is supposed to leave a file w/ lessons
2) High School Credit Flexibility – Mary Lord, At-Large Member State Board of Education ESEA – reauthored
- State board trying to innovate/engage public
- How to focus more on learning and the learner – free up teachers and students to innovate & allow students struggling to get the time they need and those who excel to be able to accelerate
- Move towards mastery-based (or performance-based) learning.
- Q: How to assess mastery
3) Wilson Building Visits, December 4 – Ivan Frishberg 9-Noon
- Requests to meet with Chairman Allen (11 AM)
- Issues – modernization – process and what is happening at the schools and cross sector collaboration task force (Key issues under cross-sector task force to be refined)
4) Eliot-Hine Update – Roni Hillmon and Heather Schoell
- Watkins to be renovated 2016-17 / Looking at swing space at Eliot Hine
- Promises to Eliot-Hine
- HVAC (promised by may 2015)
- Tech in each classroom
- Room in need of repair (leaks into classrooms); mold/air quality
- Dec 9 next PTO meeting – 6PM in library. Patrick Davis, lead
Next CHPSPO Meeting: December 15, 2015
Upcoming Middle School Open Houses
Nov 16, (Monday) 9:00-10:30 am: Capitol Hill Montessori at Logan, Upper Elementary and Middle School Open House (http://capitolhillmontessorischool.org/)
Nov 17, (Tuesday) 9:30-10:30 am and 6-7:00 pm: Eliot-Hine Middle School Open House (www.eliothinemiddleschool.org)
Nov 19, (Thursday) 9:30-10:30 am and 6-7:00 pm: Stuart-Hobson Middle School Open House (http://www.capitolhillclusterschool.org/)
Nov 20, (Friday) 9:30-11:00 am: Jefferson Academy Open House http://www.jeffersontrojans.org/)