This May Be Your LAST CHANCE to give input on DC public school accountability measures!

If you care about what educational standards DC’s public schools will be held accountable to in the future, you have ONLY until February 28, 2017 to make your voice heard!

DC’s Office of the State Superintendent of Education’s (OSSE) current school accountability proposal sets standardized test scores at 80% of a school’s overall rating, with the remaining 20% split between attendance and re-enrollment rates. It gives 0% weight to comprehensive school climate measures known to help schools improve.

At recent public hearings, parents and teachers urged OSSE and the State Board of Education (SBOE) to reduce the weight of test scores to the lowest percent allowed under the law—55%. They testified that using standardized test scores as the primary measurement for school quality has had a negative impact on learning environments; has grossly failed to close the achievement gap; and has contributed to growing educational disparities throughout our school system.

Now, OSSE is ignoring feedback from parents and teachers and unnecessarily fast-tracking this ineffective proposal: the agency wants to submit a final proposal by March 30, 2017, though the real deadline is September. That rushed schedule UNDERMINES the ability of education stakeholders to collaborate on developing robust school accountability measures that can help schools improve, and will severely restrict the new Chancellor Antwan Wilson’s capacity to close the achievement gap.

IF THIS MATTERS TO YOU, TAKE ACTION NOW: (contact information below)

1. CALL OR EMAIL State Superintendent Hanseul Kang and tell her to reduce the weight of standardized test scores in school ratings and urge her to NOT SUBMIT her proposal to the feds until September in order to allow the new Chancellor to collaborate with stakeholders to develop more effective measures.

2. CALL OR EMAIL your State Board of Education representative and urge them to reject OSSE’s current proposal and insist that OSSE be responsive to citizen feedback by significantly reducing the weight of test scores in its proposal.

Office of the State Superintendent of Education: Hansuel Kang, superintendent,, (202) 727-6436

State Board of Education Members: At-large – Ashley Carter

Ward 1 – Laura Wilson Phelan,, (202) 421-4360

Ward 2 – Jack Jacobson, Chair of the Board, (202) 251-7644

Ward 3 – Ruth Wattenberg, (202) 320-7884

Ward 4 – Lannette Woodruff

Ward 5 – Mark Jones, (202) 304-7294

Ward 6 – Joe Weedon, (202) 277-9410

Ward 7 – Karen Williams, Vice President of Board, (301) 641-1926

Ward 8 – Markus Batchelor

Stay engaged by attending the Ward based community meetings.  Ward 6 discussions with OSSE and State Superintendent Hanseul Kang will be held on:

  • February 21 @ Capitol Hill Montessori at Logan, 6:30 PM
  • February 27 @ Capitol Hill Arts Workshop, 6-8:00 PM.


Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: