Dear Ward 6 Public School Parent Organization members,
First, I want to thank Danica Petroshius and the CHM@Logan community for their leadership and persistence on the sexual misconduct issues, and their efforts to ensure this won’t happen to other children.
Below are updates to share with your school communities:
1. W6PSPO will meet on August 20 at 6:30 pm. We will be joined by representatives from DCPS who will share information on the Eastern High School feeder pattern. The location for the meeting is TBD.
2. The Capitol Hill Community Foundation’s A Literary Feast will be October 26, 2019.
Over thirty homes on Capitol Hill will host a book-themed dinner party. All proceeds from the ticket sales go to support the Capitol Hill Community Foundation’s grants to neighborhood schools. The are still looking for families (you can also co-host to lighten the load) who are willing to host a dinner for 8 or more guests. Contact Todd Cymot, if you are interested or want more information.
3. The Deputy Mayor for Education is requesting comments on the city’s water filtration and testing protocol. Comments are due August 7. Attached are suggested comments that were prepared by Hannah Donart and other parents. Because the presence of lead and other contaminants in drinking water at our schools is a serious concern, it is important to comment on this protocol.
4. On Wednesday, August 7, Natalie Wexler, tutor, education author and blogger will discuss her new book The knowledge Gap: The Hidden Cause of America’s Broken Education –and How to Fix it with Elizabeth Green, of Chalkbeat education news organization, at 7 pm at Politics & Prose, 5015 Connecticut Ave. NW Free, (202) 364-1919, politics-prose.com
5. On Thursday, August 15, The cast of children and adults of a delightful play with a lovingly learned lesson, The Lemonade Stand, will give two performances. Tickets are Adults–$20, Seniors & Students–$10, Children–$5. See flyer below for more information.
6. Attached is the current roster of principals and PTA leaders for the schools in Ward 6. Please send me any updates to the roster. Also, if you wish to have your name taken off the W6PSPO distribution list, please let me know.
Hope everyone enjoys the remaining days of the summer break.
DC Water Filtration & Testing Protocol for DCPS and DPR Facilities – Questions & Comments.pdf