Dear Ward 6 Public Schools Parent Organization members,
1. W6PSPO will meet on Tuesday, November 15at 7 pm. Anti-Bullying Week is November 14 – 18. At our meeting, we will be joined by Dr. Justin McClain who is the Manager of School Climate and Culture for DCPS. Dr. McClain will discuss the work being done to create safe spaces for all students in our schools. We will also have an open discussion on how your PTA/PTO spends funds it raises, and systems your schools have that allow items to be purchased without individuals having to first incur costs and then be reimbursed. This will be a big picture discussion (specific dollar amounts are not necessary) to share ideas among our schools.
If you registered for a previous W6PSPO meeting, the link you received for that meeting will work for this and future W6PSPO meetings. If you don’t already have the meeting link, you can register at
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAudOqsqDorHdOqNZKiWVfvLL0TPp_az3Wp. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
2. DCPS FY24 Public Budget Hearing, November 16, 6 – 8 pm. This is a virtual budget hearing. The purpose of the hearing is to gather input from the public about the upcoming SY23/24 school budgets. You must register to testify here by November 14.
3. ANC 6C Grants. The next deadline for ANC 6C grants is November 17. ANC6C seeks grant applications for community projects within the ANC 6C boundaries that demonstrate significant lasting impact on the ANC 6C community. The ANC 6C Grants Committee encourages new and innovative grant projects with enduring and lasting impact on the ANC 6C community. Some types of projects that have been funded in the past are public arts and beautification, school or youth organization activities and community service. All grant recipients must be documented non-profit organizations. You can find more information and the application here: https://anc6c.org/committees/grants-committee/
4. SBOE Monthly Meeting, November 16, 5:30 pm.The D.C. State Board of Education (SBOE)will hold its monthly public meeting on Wednesday, November 16, 2022, at 5:30 p.m. The public meeting will be held in-person in the Old Council Chambers at 441 4th Street NW, and streamed live via District Knowledge Network (DKN). Materials for the State Board’s meetings can be found on our website.
The SBOE will have a panel discussing the recent community engagement the SBOE held on educational governance. The confirmed experts on the panel are: – Dr. Joshua Glazer, Associate Professor, Education Policy at George Washington University
– Dr. Elizabeth Grant, Associate Professor and Deputy Chair, Department of educational Leadership at George Washington University – Mark Jones, Former Ward 5 Representative on the SBOE
– Dr. Kenneth Wong, Director, Urban Education Policy Program at Brown University
5. W6PSPO SY22/23 Officer Nominations, W6PSPO is accepting officer nominations for SY22/23. This is the form to submit nominations.
6. Congratulations to Brandon Best for winning the Ward 6 SBOE race. It was the most closely contested race out of the four SBOE races this election. We greatly appreciate the dedication Joshua Wiley and Brandon Best have to our students, families and teachers, and their willingness to run for the position.
Hope to see you on Tuesday!