Regardless of which CHPSPO school our children attend today, it’s important to remember that all roads go to Eastern High School.
Come meet 2nd grade parents from across the Hill!
Enjoy a Saturday morning play date and some coffee.
Where: Maury Elementary School, 1250 Constitution Ave
When: Saturday, February 2nd, 9:30am – 11:30am
Please share with your friends and neighbors with 2nd grade students. Special thanks to Joe Weedon for organizing this!
Capitol Hill Public Schools Parent Organization
Maury Elementary School Library – 1250 Constitution Ave., NE
November 20, 2012, 6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.
1) DCPS School Closing Announcement (Cathy Reilly, SHAPPE, and Daniel del Pielago (Empower DC)
- Dec 5 – Wards 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 Community Discussion on DCPS Proposed Consolidation and Reorganization, 6 – 8 p.m @ Brightwood Education Campus (1300 Nicholson St, NW)
- What does this mean to us (Ward 6 families) in the future?
- Engage DCPS online – post ideas on how to save money here.
- Need to formulate collective vision of how to fix the schools
- When Hine and Eliot merged 5 years ago, combined population was +600, now Hine is ~300 total. Consolidation has proven to show decreased enrollment.
- No plan in place to enrich combined campuses programmatically.
- Valuable to attend a neighborhood school. Publicly funded, but privately run schools don’t fit into a neighborhood system.
- Teachers union not a strong voice; engage other unions?
- What impact has Basis had on the DCPS middle schools? (Latin, Two Rivers)
- Review data à http://dc.gov/DCPS/Files/downloads/COMMUNITY/CR/DCPS-School-Data-Snapshot-November-19-2012.pdf
- 40% of families affected in this closing were affected in 2008 closing
- A lot of other places DCPS could save $ in lieu of closing schools – Teacher bonus, IMPACT evaluation, vendor relations (food services)
- What does an all charter system look like?
- Two pronged approach: Retention of families + Market to new families
2) Class of 20xx (Drew Golin, Maury parent)
- Recruit captains/teams at each school by grade (public, private, charter – raising a community)
- Captains/Teams at each school by grade (public, private, charter – raising a community)
- Own listservs for the class
- Start getting involved in the HS – raise funds for music program, donate to bake sales, attend events
- ‘experts’ to think about
- Hill Rag letter
- 3rd grade playgroup: 1/3 of parents whose children had been to multiple schools.
- Summer concert series with Eastern HS band.
- Attend Eastern HS games http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/eastern-ramblers-(washington,dc)/basketball/schedule.htm
3) Title IX and sports for girls in DC (Valarie Hogan, National Women’s Law Center fellow)
- Circulate link to flyer and survey – engage MS and High Schools, coaches, parents, teachers – elem are covered but small.
- Meeting Dec 3, 6:30PM to give more info, discuss next steps @ Crolin Morrings, 1101 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
- Center has been in talks w/ DCPS for years and possibly ready to file a complaint. Another complaint has been filed – focus is on opportunities, not on spending.
- Charters have not been tracked, in process of understand DC’s responsibility around charters and equity vis a vis sports
4) Learn about IB Middle Years @ Atlas and Living Room Chats update
- Next IB education night – Jan 22 at Westminster Presbyterian in SW , 6PM
- Stuart Hobson has first Tuesday visits
- Dec 2 Moth school information night 2-5PM. CHPSPO will attend.
5) DCPS Library Task Force update
- Continues to meet: recommendations out by mid-December, a lot of support for staffing librarians at all schools, collection development
- Where are books going w/ all closures? (Almost of all schools being closed don’t have librarians)…
Next CHPSPO Meeting: December 18, 2012
- December 2: Girls on the Run 5K – 2PM @ Anacostia Park. Cheer on Capitol Hill Montessori at Logan, J.O. Wilson, Ludlow-Taylor, Maury, and Tyler or register to run in the 5K
- December 2: Hill School Information Night– 2-5PM @ Capitol Hill Day School
- December 3: Title IX Sports for Girls Next Steps – 6:30PM @ Crolin Morrings, 1101 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
- December 5: Wards 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 Community Discussion on DCPS Proposed Consolidation and Reorganization, 6 – 8 p.m.
- January 22: Next IB education night – at Westminster Presbyterian in SW , 6PM