Capitol Hill Public Schools Parent Organization
Ludlow Taylor Elementary School
659 G St., NE
December 13, 2011
6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.
1. Ed Lazere, the Chair of the Public Education Finance Reform Commission (PEFRC or the Commission) spoke about the legislation that established the Commission, and the Commission’s charge. The Commission is an independent body convened to make recommendations to the Mayor regarding the Uniform Per Student Funding Formula (UPSFF) to inform the 2013 FY Budget. The Commission has been asked to specifically look at issues of adequacy, equity, affordability and transparency. Information about process, past and future meetings is available on http://PEFRC.org and in the legislation document. All meetings are open to public.
CHPSPO members (and all DC residents) are encouraged to weigh in via comments through the Commission’s website and their hearings. The Commission would benefit from comments on how to manage the DCPS facilities better, e.g., how to pay for buildings efficiently, and maintain them. Also, comments on how to direct money toward low-income and special education students would be of interest to the Commission.
2. CHPSPO By-laws. Those present at the meeting (representatives from Maury, Tyler, Ludlow-Taylor, the Capitol Hill Cluster School, Brent, Payne, and Capitol Hill Montessori at Logan) voted to pass the by-laws.
3. Race to Nowhere Report Out
Special thanks to to Sherry Trafford and to Liz Festa for organizing the event. to Atlas Performing Arts Centre for hosting, to our panelists, and to the Capitol Hill Community Foundation for making it possible for us to put on this event free of charge.
- Many participants completed evaluations and wanted to continue discussion.
- Steve Seiden discussed the Mindful Parenting session that was recently brought to the Capitol Hill Cluster School. Steve said there was a willingness to deliver the session to other schools. Tips and ideas learned from a Mindful Parenting session might mesh nicely with an interest to continue discussions about Race to Nowhere.
4. Looking Ahead to 2012.
- Priorities for 2012 will be discussed at the next meeting. It was suggested we may want to work collaboratively on after-care issues.
Next CHPSPO Meeting: January 17, 2012
Coming up – OPEN HOUSES in January:
- Jan 9 – Capitol Hill Montessori at Logan Open House @ 9:30 AM
- Jan 10 – Tyler ES Open House @ 8:30 AM
- Jan 10 – Maury ES Open House @ 9:00 AM
- Jan 10 – Maury ES Open House @ 6:45 PM
- Jan 11 – Ludlow-Taylor ES Open House @ 9:00 AM
- Jan 11 – Watkins ES Open House @ 9:00 AM
- Jan 11 – Eastern HS Open House @ 9:45 AM
- Jan 11 – Stuart Hobson MS Open House @ 10:00 AM
- Jan 11 – Peabody Early Childhood Open House @ 11:00 AM
- Jan 11 – School Within School Early Childhood (at Peabody) Open House @ 11:00 AM
- Jan 12 – Peabody Early Childhood Open House @ 5:00 PM
- Jan 12 – School Within School Early Childhood (at Peabody) Open House @ 5:00 PM
- Jan 12 – Watkins ES Open House @ 6:00 PM
- Jan 11 – Stuart Hobson MS Open House @ 7:00 PM
- Jan 25 – Eliot Hine MS Open House @ 5:30 PM
- Jan 25 – Ludlow-Taylor ES Open House @ 6:00 PM
- Jan 26 – Brent ES Open House @ 9:00 AM
DCPS will sponsor a lottery information session January 25 from 6 – 7:30 p.m. at Payne ES, 1445 C Street, SE
Happy New Year!