Capitol Hill Public Schools Parent Organization
Payne Elementary School, 1445 C St., SE
April 23, 2014 – 6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- Bike to School Day (Jennifer Heffernan, DDOT)
- ABCs of Family Biking on May 3, 11AM-2PM @ Capitol Hill Montessori at Logan (215 G St. NE) http://kidicalmassdc.blogspot.com/p/abcs-of-family-biking.html
- Bike to School Day is Wednesday, May7. Lincoln Park event is on (7:30-8:30AM)!
o Register your school (even if you’re not making the Lincoln Park event): http://www.walkbiketoschool.org/user/login?destination=node/add/event (Create the account, then register for goodies from DDoT)
o US Department of Transportation’s Acting Deputy Secretary of Transportation, Victor Mendez will participate
o National Center for Safe Routes to School will join us
o How to get more low income families to participate?
o WABA Bicycle Ambassadors to direct bike trains?
o Golden Bicycle Competition – school w/ greatest percentage of cycling (and skating, scooting, tricycling) population in DC wins!
- Discussion of Homeless Children Attending Capitol Hill Schools and What Our Community Can Do to Help (Lauren Conley, Homeless Children’s Playtime Project )
o Playtime Project philosophy: Play is a human right. Playtime Project delivers structured play (snacks, art, movement) at shelters
o Every DC school (by law) has a homeless liaison. DCPS contact list: http://osse.dc.gov/publication/dcps-homeless-liaison-contact-list
o Law requires funds for field trips, uniforms, transportation, etc: application of the law depends on the school’s ability: schools automatically enroll homeless children.
o How we can help
- Uniform drives
- Halloween costume drive (by playtime)
- Holiday gifts
- Backpacks filled w/ school supplies
- Socks, underwear
- Gently used books, outside toys
- Baby things
- Talk to your kids about empathy, teasing, etc
- Mentorship program? Girls Inc? Girls on the Run, Big Brothers:
- Capitol Area food bank (lesson + bag of groceries)
- Weekend food; Backpack w/ food for the weekend. http://feedingamerica.org/
- Ways to support Relisha Rudd
o Set aside PTA funds for a general fund in her name
o Washer/Dryers and pantries at every school
o Letter-writing campaign
o November Homeless Awareness Month
o Next Steps: Cornelia Sigworth to assemble homeless families sub-committee to pursue support activities.
- School Boundaries/Feeder Pattern Discussion (Denise Forte & Marty Welles)
- Next Open House/Working Group meetings are April 24 and 26: http://chpspo.org/2014/04/02/dme-boundary-review-open-house-dates-and-locations-starting-april-5/
- Reinforcement that the 3 policy examples are not binding. There are still opportunities to provide input and shape the policy.
o Next Steps:
- CHPSPO to look to Working Group Data (to be posted on DME site) at the school level and to http://ourdcschools.org results at Ward level to put together a position on boundary review
o You can provide feedback on the proposals on http://ourdcschools.org/ (created by Code for DC) through mid-May. All feedback will be made open, while protecting privacy data.
- Public Charter School applications and public hearing (Suzanne Wells)
o Suzanne Wells and Laura testified
o Two new middle schools could be approved
o Written testimony accepted until April 25
Next CHPSPO Meeting: May 20, 2014
April 22 – May 5 CHM@L online auction (www.biddingforgood.com/CHML)
April 26 Payne Spring Festival and Bazaar (9am-3pm @ Payne)
April 26 DCYOP @ Eliot-Hine. 12:30pm performance on the blacktop. Stay tuned for the Fall 2014 DCYOP Petting Zoo at Eliot-Hine!
April 26 Ludlow-Taylor Spring Jubilee (2pm-5pm @ Ludlow Taylor)
April 29 Eliot-Hine Career Fair – Register here to present 15 min snapshots
May 5 Eliot-Hine Open Houses – morning and evening
May 7 Bike to School Day (Lincoln Park) – Register your school and join the Fun!
May 10 Laps Around Lincoln (Tyler Fundraiser) 9-11 AM @ Lincoln Park
May 14 Eliot-Hine PTO meeting for incoming families. How to get involved w/ PTO before you enroll.
May 18 Capitol Hill Classic 10K/3K/Fun Run
One thought on “CHPSPO Meeting Notes – April 23, 2014”
Parents, make your kids life as best . Give best education to put them in top CBSE, IGCSE school in India. There are many schools in India are learning “how to teach” to the kids efficiently. When we compare other educated countries we are almost near to them. Because education system is changing like abroad. Make them for our country to proud as ” best doctor, scientist, Enggineer. In Chennai, Bangalore, Kolkata and Mumbai are the cities are conceding best education for kids in the world. The thing is what we have learnt is does not a matter, where we have learnt is a thing. If you make them to study in best school like presidency, automatically they grows with good knowledge. Specially, North side in India are bestowing international level education.