Capitol Hill Public Schools Parent Organization
Payne Elementary School, 1445 C St., SE
April 23, 2014 – 6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- Bike to School Day (Jennifer Heffernan, DDOT)
- ABCs of Family Biking on May 3, 11AM-2PM @ Capitol Hill Montessori at Logan (215 G St. NE) http://kidicalmassdc.blogspot.com/p/abcs-of-family-biking.html
- Bike to School Day is Wednesday, May7. Lincoln Park event is on (7:30-8:30AM)!
o Register your school (even if you’re not making the Lincoln Park event): http://www.walkbiketoschool.org/user/login?destination=node/add/event (Create the account, then register for goodies from DDoT)
o US Department of Transportation’s Acting Deputy Secretary of Transportation, Victor Mendez will participate
o National Center for Safe Routes to School will join us
o How to get more low income families to participate?
o WABA Bicycle Ambassadors to direct bike trains?
o Golden Bicycle Competition – school w/ greatest percentage of cycling (and skating, scooting, tricycling) population in DC wins!
- Discussion of Homeless Children Attending Capitol Hill Schools and What Our Community Can Do to Help (Lauren Conley, Homeless Children’s Playtime Project )
o Playtime Project philosophy: Play is a human right. Playtime Project delivers structured play (snacks, art, movement) at shelters
o Every DC school (by law) has a homeless liaison. DCPS contact list: http://osse.dc.gov/publication/dcps-homeless-liaison-contact-list
o Law requires funds for field trips, uniforms, transportation, etc: application of the law depends on the school’s ability: schools automatically enroll homeless children.
o How we can help
- Uniform drives
- Halloween costume drive (by playtime)
- Holiday gifts
- Backpacks filled w/ school supplies
- Socks, underwear
- Gently used books, outside toys
- Baby things
- Talk to your kids about empathy, teasing, etc
- Mentorship program? Girls Inc? Girls on the Run, Big Brothers:
- Capitol Area food bank (lesson + bag of groceries)
- Weekend food; Backpack w/ food for the weekend. http://feedingamerica.org/
- Ways to support Relisha Rudd
o Set aside PTA funds for a general fund in her name
o Washer/Dryers and pantries at every school
o Letter-writing campaign
o November Homeless Awareness Month
o Next Steps: Cornelia Sigworth to assemble homeless families sub-committee to pursue support activities.
- School Boundaries/Feeder Pattern Discussion (Denise Forte & Marty Welles)
- Next Open House/Working Group meetings are April 24 and 26: http://chpspo.org/2014/04/02/dme-boundary-review-open-house-dates-and-locations-starting-april-5/
- Reinforcement that the 3 policy examples are not binding. There are still opportunities to provide input and shape the policy.
o Next Steps:
- CHPSPO to look to Working Group Data (to be posted on DME site) at the school level and to http://ourdcschools.org results at Ward level to put together a position on boundary review
- Public Charter School applications and public hearing (Suzanne Wells)
o Suzanne Wells and Laura testified
o Two new middle schools could be approved
o Written testimony accepted until April 25
Next CHPSPO Meeting: May 20, 2014
April 22 – May 5 CHM@L online auction (www.biddingforgood.com/CHML)
April 26 Payne Spring Festival and Bazaar (9am-3pm @ Payne)
April 26 DCYOP @ Eliot-Hine. 12:30pm performance on the blacktop. Stay tuned for the Fall 2014 DCYOP Petting Zoo at Eliot-Hine!
April 26 Ludlow-Taylor Spring Jubilee (2pm-5pm @ Ludlow Taylor)
April 29 Eliot-Hine Career Fair – Register here to present 15 min snapshots
May 5 Eliot-Hine Open Houses – morning and evening
May 7 Bike to School Day (Lincoln Park) – Register your school and join the Fun!
May 10 Laps Around Lincoln (Tyler Fundraiser) 9-11 AM @ Lincoln Park
May 14 Eliot-Hine PTO meeting for incoming families. How to get involved w/ PTO before you enroll.
May 18 Capitol Hill Classic 10K/3K/Fun Run