Is OSSE’s ESSA draft proposal reflective of your input?

The Every Student Achieves Act of 2016 (ESSA) eliminates the almost exclusive focus on test scores to rank schools, which was the cornerstone of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. ESSA allows DC to select more meaningful measures of school success. If you care about what educational standards DC’s public schools will be held accountable to in the future, you MUST make your voice heard NOW (read proposal here)!

DC’s Office of the State Superintendent of Education’s (OSSE) current school accountability proposal sets standardized test scores at 80% of a school’s overall rating, with the remaining 20% primarily on attendance and re-enrollment rates. It gives 0% weight to comprehensive school climate measures that are known to help schools improve. (It’s worth noting the draft proposal mentions parents 53 times, yet does not mention parent feedback that the 80% weight toward standardized test is imbalanced).

Parents and teachers have urged OSSE and the State Board of Education (SBOE) to reduce the weight of test scores to the lowest percent legally allowed—around 55% for elementary, less for high schools.

Send comments TODAY to OSSE via email ( and consider ccing State Board members (as they will vote on the plan ultimately), or fill out OSSE’s survey:
State Board of Education Members:
At-large – Ashley Carter
Ward 1 – Laura Wilson Phelan 421-4360
Ward 2 – Jack Jacobson, Chair of the Board 251-7644
Ward 3 – Ruth Wattenberg 320-7884
Ward 4 – Lannette Woodruff
Ward 5 – Mark Jones 304-7294
Ward 6 – Joe Weedon 277-9410
Ward 7 – Karen Williams, Vice President of Board 641-1926
Ward 8 – Markus Batchelor

3 thoughts on “Is OSSE’s ESSA draft proposal reflective of your input?


Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: