Dear Ward 6 Public Schools Parent Organization members,
W6PSPO will meet on Tuesday, August 17, at 7 pm.
- Dr. Kevin Washburn, manager of Library Programs for DCPS, will join us to share what DCPS is doing to ensure every school has a librarian this school year.
- We will also discuss school reopening. We all hoped we’d be in a better place at the start of this school year. We are now two weeks out from the start of school, and in a rapidly changing situation with the highly contagious Delta variant, more children becoming sick with Covid-19, no approved vaccines for children under 12, and many people eligible for a vaccine remaining unvaccinated. Our discussion will be an opportunity to share concerns and ideas for safely reopening schools.
- As background for our discussion, please see the DC Health’s guidance for schools, and this Washington Post article by Perry Stein. Also, if you would like to be added to a Google groups of parents across the city who are sharing ideas about ways to safely reopen schools, send your e-mail address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Continue to help spread the word to anyone who is eligible to get vaccinated about the many ways to get vaccinated in DC. https://coronavirus.dc.gov/page/get-vaccinated
- If you registered for a previous W6PSPO meeting, the link you received for that meeting will work for this and future W6PSPO meetings. If you don’t already have the meeting link, you can register at https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAudOqsqDorHdOqNZKiWVfvLL0TPp_az3Wp.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
- The State Board of Education is holding a public meeting on Wednesday, August 18, and parents are encouraged to sign up to testify aboutschool reopening. You can sign up to testify here. You must sign up by 5 pm on Monday, August 16.
- Walk-to-School Day is October 6. Registration will be opening soon. If you have fun ideas for our annual event, or would like to be on the planning committee, please let me know.